Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 9:

After breakfast we took another canoe out to where we would, the following night, sleep outside. From there we went on a little jungle hike.



I am holding some rubber from a rubber tree.
I believe this is the same piece dad brought home.

This is a rubber tree.

Looking back on the trail behind us. I was in the back.

Don't stand under that when it falls from the tree!

Dad is standing in front of an ant hill.


He's showing us how they climb a tree.


A milk tree...
supposed to help with asthma, bronchitis, or other respiratory illnesses.
We tried some and, to me, it tasted like dandelions smell.


Brazil nut shells (each holds quite a few nuts).






It was a very large tree.



Termite nest.


They said indians would rub termites on their bodies when hunting.
I guess the strong scent of termites covers up your own and animals don't know you're coming.



The tree roots were crazy to me... wide and thin.


This butterfly doesn't look like much, but the other side of its wings are a royal blue color!



After the hike we were off again!


We didn't see big animals on our hike.
The guide asked if we would like to pay $6 to see animals somewhere else...


















That house behind my head is where all the 'animals' were.
The people of the house were not home, so we didn't have to pay.













We made it back to the cabins.
I wasn't feeling too great, so I took a long nap.
For lunch today we got to eat armadillo.
To me it tasted like a mix between chicken and the smell of dog.
Dad told me to take some pictures of the Brazil nut trees by our cabin,
so that's what the next two are of.






While I was at it...
I decided to take a few pictures inside and outside the main building.


















The English speaking guide was pointing at the waterline on the trees.
The water was up to that point just the month before.



I enjoyed canoeing through the trees.
We kept hearing/seeing iguanas jump from the trees into the water.



Cool looking tree that was pretty large.



After the 'canoe through the trees' adventure we headed back.













Good old Red, White, and Blue!



Looking for animals in the trees.

























I saw a bunch of herons, so dad told them to turn around so we could watch them fly away.






Random heron in a tree.



A little while later I spotted something in this tree.
We backed up to watch it for a bit.


It's a sloth! :)





















1 comment:

Chelsea Cisneros said...

WOW! What a trip and beautiful pictures!!! How fun