Thursday, October 9, 2008

For the Milk Lover in ALL of us...

I'm still learning super interesting things, but haven't had the time to blog. But, I thought I'd take a moment to discuss Milk! :)










You know the "don't put your baby to bed with a bottle, or sippy, of milk" line that has been passed down through the ages? Well, it's true!

You know how milk is very important for bone growth? Well, if left in your mouth it can also destroy bone growth! These are examples of nursing bottle syndrome:







I don't think this would apply to only infants either... this is why we learn to brush our teeth before bed and throughout the day!


Also, I learned today that calcium and iron fight for the same spot in cells. So, if you (your child) drink too much milk the calcium will win and you could become iron deficient!

"A deficiency of iron limits oxygen delivery to cells, resulting in fatigue, poor work performance, and decreased immunity. On the other hand, excess amounts of iron can result in toxicity and even death" (http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp).

...how anyone could think that the WORD OF WISDOM was not inspired is beyond me! We've seen many instances since Joseph Smith received that revelation where science finally came around to explaining why such a 'diet' is good. :)

For example:

Doctrine and Covenants 89
10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—
11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with aprudence and thanksgiving.
12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;


Science has found that calcium is found in milk products, green leafy veggies, almonds, fish (with bones), legumes... And the found that Iron is in red meats, fish, poultry, eggs, legumes, dried fruits, grains...

AWESOME!!!

3 comments:

Lindsey Ricks Benedict said...

thank goodness for dental implants or that is what my teeth will look like soon. YUM!!!
T

Bruce said...

WOW! I am glad we curbed Hailey's addiction to milk when she was 2! :)

e.brooke said...

It is true that if you drink too much milk you have NO energy!!

It can cause depression as well!

I have proved it in my own life!

My proof is independant of scientific research and has nothing at all to do with the fact that I can only drink milk if I have a bag of oreos!