Saturday, May 2, 2009

Book Share...

I don't know if it's my load of classes, if it's because this is my third semester in a row (I've been going strong since September), or if it is because it is summer time and I can't play outside (this is my first time going to school in the summer). All I know is that I am TIRED!

Well, now that I've mentioned all that... if anyone knows of any good kid books, let me know. I have quite a few that I am supposed to read this semester.

So, it's time for the BOOK SHARE!!!

These are some of the ones I will be reading this semester:
The Bronze Bow - Elizabeth Speare
Stargirl - Jerry Spinelli
Eleventh Hour - Graeme Base
The Great Gilly Hopkins - Katherine Paterson
Holes - Luis Sachar
The Story of Ruby Bridges - Robert Coles
Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast - Robin McKinley
Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World - Jennifer Armstrong
Love That Dog - Sharon Creech
Heckedy Peg - Audrey Wood

I have to read 60 children's books this semester (the ones mentioned above and 2 Informational, 10 Nonfiction, 5 Traditional, 11 picture books and the rest are free choice with limited criteria).


My niece Caitlyn has suggested:
Magic Treehouse series - Mary Pope Osborne
Septimus Heap - Angie Sage

9 comments:

Amy said...

My favorite picture book is "All the Places to Love" by Patricia Maclachlan. And "A Panda Cake" by Rosalie Seidler

Carlee Ann said...

I love kids books! Plus, it could be psych textbooks...eck! ;)

Lanes said...

We love "Whatever" by William Bee. Will picked up saying most of the book by the third time we read it to him. Sounds like a fun class.

e.brooke said...

WOW!!! Read baby, read!!!

Lindsey Ricks Benedict said...

I have no clue, except maybe some Dr. Seus?? And if you find some good ones for a litte boy let me know! ; )

Natalie said...

I love all Audrey Wood Books (her and her hubby work together)! They have a book called "King Bidgoods in the bathtub and Won't get out." I love the two books I told your mom to read..."chirysanthimum" sp?, and "lilly's purple plastic purse" I could go on and on, I'll just have to call ya ;) Hugs!

Give us reviews! I would love to know what good books are out there that we are missing out on!

Roger and Victoria said...

Yay! You will have so much fun! I LOVED my children's lit class. The Bronze Bow and Beauty are two of my all-time favorites! As far as informational/nonfiction go, Russell Freedman and Jean Fritz are awesome (you will find a lot of dry humor in Jean Fritz's books). Another fabulous informational is a book on Shackleton...I think it is by Jennifer Armstrong. Kate DiCamillo is another fav. (Because of Winn-Dixie, Tale of Despereaux) for fiction. There are SO MANY...the list is endless, especially for picture books. Kevin Henkes has some really fun picture books (Natalie listed some already) and you have to check out at least one Olivia book by Ian Falconer. Just have a blast!

Amy said...

Also, read "Pete and Pickles" by Berkeley Breathed :) What a fun assignment!

Bruce said...

I can't wait to hear your reviews on those books. WE love everything Sandra Boynton.

Also, did you see that "Where the Wild Things Are" is a movie now? That might be a fun one to do a report on! :)